So.... this blog isn't really about bacon or bird eggs. But I do LOVE bacon (who doesn't?) and I do love bird eggs, mostly because they hatch the cutest creatures on earth -not for eating!

I'm starting this blog so that I can keep a journal of my island adventures. Last year I spent 5 months on Southeast Farallon Island working with seabirds and neglected to keep any sort of blog or journal... and I have suffered from internal guilt ever since. Maybe I'll do a Farallon Special Feature sometime between islands? Until then you will be hearing of my Tern Island tales. Tern is a tiny 30-something acre island in the middle of the Pacific in the French Frigate Shoals, which is part of the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument about 500ish miles northwest of O'ahu. Here's a link to a picture I didn't take (Tern is the rectangle):
http://www.sflorg.com/earthnews/images/imen092206_01_02.jpg



30 March 2010

At Last!

My first attempt at living on this hunk of coral was slightly disasterous. I arrived on the Kahana (the ship featured in Season 4 of the television series Lost - or so I'm told- cough) in December only to leave a week later due to a festering chronic appendicitis. So, here I am again, sans appendix, but with a newly aquired broken toe. I ran into a chair while running to the fridge for left over cake... is this a sign?

In December I did have just enough time to rescue a slippery sea turtle from our seawall, band some porky Black-footed Albatrosses, and band a fiesty little Bonin Petrel. Banding birds is kind of like crack for me (not that I've ever tried it, but I can imagine based on movies I've seen), so during my time back on the mainland I suffered from severe withdraws and nearly drowned in a large pool of self-pity.

I've been back now for almost 10 days and my veins are surging with tropical-birdie-island-goodness. I'll have to wait for another moment of free time to fill you in on the latest points of excitement (accompanied by choice photos if the interwebs will allow), because I've got to go get my fanny-pack ready for a night of Wedge-tailed Shearwater mark-recapture. And I've got to find my headlamp!

1 comment: